The Parish Council has been taking measures since the start of the coronavirus outbreak to minimise the risks to our residents and users of our services. We have sent guidelines to all households, initiated a regular cleaning regime for all play equipment, and insist on all sports clubs using our facilities to record the names of those that turn up for games. We also place regular updates onto the Councils Facebook pages.
NEW RESIDENTS – WELCOME TO WHITTINGTON
On behalf of the Parish Council and the whole community, we would like to welcome you to Whittington and hope that you will be very happy living here. The information on this website is intended to help you settle in and to provide some useful contacts. We would very much appreciate feedback from you, as a new resident, so please send any comments and suggestions on ways in which the information might be improved to the Clerk to the Parish Council.
SOME LOCAL INFORMATION AND CONTACT DETAILS YOU MAY FIND USEFUL.
(Please advise of any corrections – we endeavour to keep the information up to date, but changes are inevitable)
- The Parish Council Newsletter is delivered to your door free of charge). This has a list of parish councillors on the back cover.
- The Parish News (the monthly St Giles Church magazine), available on payment of a small subscription; contact Carol Rosenburg – 01543 433149). This includes advertisements of many local businesses and services.
- FACILITIES: Village Hall – Langton Crescent, just off Main Street by The Bell – and Church Hall (Thomas Spencer Hall) – next to the church. Both host a wide range of clubs and activities and are available for hire. Full details of events and activities in the halls, together with a timetable, are available on the Parish Council website under News and Events – Weekly Diary.
- DOCTORS: The Langton Medical Group, based in Lichfield, runs a surgery in the rear part of the Village Hall (separate entrance) every morning Monday – Friday (440811).
- LIBRARY: A mobile library visits Whittington every three weeks on a Tuesday afternoon. Details, including dates, can be found at www.staffordshire.gov.uk – Libraries – Your Nearest Library – Mobile Libraries. The nearest main library is in Lichfield.
- SCHOOLS: Whittington Community Primary School is on the edge of the village in Common Lane (432487). Most children go on at age eleven to King Edward VI School in Lichfield. There is a nursery school in the village (Elswick House – 432239) and other facilities for before and after school and holiday care
- RECREATIONAL SPACES: Bit End Field (Fisherwick Road/Vicarage Lane) – include football, cricket, bowls and children’s play area. This is also the site of the Countryside and Craft Fair (first Saturday in September) and the Church Fete (June). Swan Park (Canalside at the end of Swan Road near the canal bridge on Burton Road) – tennis, football, adventure playground. Noddington Lane children’s play area. Jubilee Park is behind Bit End Field and includes a BMX track and Trim Trail.
- PAPERS: If you would like national newspapers or magazines delivered, the village Newsagent provides this service and papers are also available from the Co-op.
- Local Directory
- WHITTINGTON AND FISHERWICK PARISH COUNCIL
- Chairman: Garry Hyde 07891853631
- Clerk: David Walton 01543 432842 – email@example.com
- Meetings are at 7.30 pm on the first Monday of the month in the Bit End Field Pavilion and are open to the public. (except for the Month of August)